I caught a nasty cold/sore throat in early June. Hubs took good care of his feverish, cranky, greasy (but very beautiful) bride by serving me loads of tea with honey and making delicious HOMEMADE chicken noodle soup. And, he froze the leftovers so we can enjoy it for those days when I neglect to go grocery shopping (read: I never go grocery shopping because I hate it).
Original recipe swiped lovingly from here.
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 5 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
- 1 can canned cooked chicken (classy!)
- 3 cups egg noodles
- 1 generous cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 tspn dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Lay prostrate on the couch, whining about everything and then fall asleep just in time to get out of helping prep dinner.
2. While you’re napping, allow the Hubs to get started by melting butter over medium heat in a large pot.
3. Snort awake and watch him add onion and celery and cook until tender (5 min or one Youtube makeup tutorial).
4. Then, he adds chicken broth, chicken, noodles, carrots, and spices. See how easy this is?
5. Lastly, let him bring the entire concoction to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes before serving.
I didn’t take a picture of the piping hot masterpiece, but I felt the same way about this soup as I did when I got that giftcard to Sephora from my MIL last Christmas.