HUBS LOVES THESE because his Mom used to make them when he was a young lad. I usually whip up a batch when I’m trying to atone for past sins like running the car almost out of gas every time he needs to go somewhere and staining his clothes while doing laundry. Works like a charm!
P.S. These would be great to take hiking or camping – or just throw a batch in the freezer for fun later!
(Recipe swiped directly off the Hodgson Mill Unprocessed Wheat Bran box, duh.)
- 3 c wheat bran
- 1 c boiling water
- 1 c brown sugar (mine was hard a gallstone, use it anyway!)
- 1/2 c butter, softened
- 2 1/2 c flour
- 2 t. baking soda
- 1 t. salt
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 c buttermilk **
- my addendum: raisins, don’t forget the RAISINS!! -these are optional, but not really.
**If you don’t have buttermilk: Take a cup of milk and add 1 T white vinegar and let it sit for 5ish minutes. Voila, homemade buttermilk. I’m a chemist practically!
- Mix 1 c wheat bran (read: NOT all of the wheat bran, people.) with 1 c boiling water. Set it aside. It’ll look like dog barf, hooray!
- Preheat the oven to 400 and sing ‘It’s gettin’ hot in here, so take off all yer clothes…’
- In a separate bowl (say, the one that comes attached to your adorable Kitchen Aid mixer), cream butter and sugar together. This also doubles a sugar scrub/lip balm so smear some on your smackers and lick off.
- Combine the dry stuff: flour, baking soda and salt together in a little bowl and whisk.
- Combine everything together: dog barf, creamed butter/sugar, dry ingredients, buttermilk, eggs AND RAISINS.
- Spoon into baking cups. The dough tastes like compost, so don’t bother eating any.
- Bake at 400 for 15 minutes. They are so good fresh out of the oven with coffee, pinky swear.
Why hello there, beautiful.