HUBS LOVES THESE because his Mom used to make them when he was a young lad. I usually whip up a batch when I’m trying to atone for past sins like running the car almost out of gas every time he needs to go somewhere and staining his clothes while doing laundry. Works like a charm!
P.S. These would be great to take hiking or camping – or just throw a batch in the freezer for fun later!
Recipe swiped directly from here. Makes two dozen.
- 3 c wheat bran
- 2 c buttermilk**
- 2/3 oil
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 1/3 c brown sugar (mine was hard a gallstone, use it anyway!)
- 1 t vanilla
- 2 c flour
- 2 t baking soda
- 2 t baking powder
- 1 t salt
- 1 c raisins, don’t forget the RAISINS!!
**If you don’t have buttermilk: Take a cup of milk and add 1 T white vinegar and let it sit for 5ish minutes. Voila, homemade buttermilk. I’m a chemist practically!
- Mix wheat bran with buttermilk. Set it aside to soak for 10 minutes. It’ll look like dog barf, hooray!
- Preheat the oven to 375 and sing ‘It’s gettin’ hot in here, so take off all yer clothes…’
- In a separate bowl mix eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla.
- Add to wheat bran.
- Combine the dry stuff: flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in another bowl.
- Combine everything together: dog barf, dry ingredients AND RAISINS.
- Spoon into baking cups. The dough tastes like compost, so don’t bother eating any.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. They are so good fresh out of the oven with coffee, pinky swear.
Why hello there, beautiful.