The kitchen saga continues. After my friend Tai helped me remove the hideous wallpaper, it was finally ready for some paint. This day has been a long time coming!
I painted it, wait for it, Gray Owl by Benjamin Moore. As it is my way, here is a dark After photo:
It’s the same color as the living room and hallway. Just one big Gray Owl, if you will.
I know Hubs was a little dismayed with my boring color choice but I picked it for several reasons:
- We have too many paint cans in our closet. It’s sincerely driving me nuts. I just want to use one up instead of going through the work of choosing a new color to use (and then later, store in our already full closet).
- I couldn’t think of a good color that would coordinate with Gray Owl in the corner where they meet (left side of the french doors in the above picture). I think it looks better as one continuous color.
- The ceiling needs to be painted and I thought that might be a fun place to bring in some color instead of the walls.
- Or bring in color on the island. YHL used this gorgeous navy on the island in their showhouse and so that’s been on my mind as well.
The only problem with using paint I had on hand is that it’s an eggshell finish, which is not optimal in a splatter prone kitchen. But, I’ve convinced myself that this is ok for Phase 1 of our kitchen update. Eventually, I’d love to redo almost everything but this is the phase that we “pretty up the dingy” while we are saving and planning for a big face lift down the line.
There is so much more to do:
- paint the cabinets white
- finish painting the trim
- replace outlets and covers
- paint the ceiling
- refinish floors
- update the pantry
- do something with those countertops!
But before we get all worked up about that, let’s revel in where we are and where we came from:
The gummy carmel cabinets are especially gross in contrast but at least the kitchen is only one color now. Now that’s somethin’ special!